Lawn Darts Are Back, Ready To Party Like Its 1980!

lawndarts

Sometimes danger comes hand in hand with cool and most of us enjoy teetering on that edge every now and then.  There's a very slight gap, however, between enjoyable hazards and utter stupidity.  Lawn darts, those super fun games your drunk uncles used to play from the 1980s, are actually pretty safe, compared to the lot of dangerous things you can get into.

They're usually harmless until one of those same drunk uncle starts throwing them in reckless ways.  Oh, by the way, they're back.

Legal restrictions on lawn dart sales have not yet been lifted, though the the folks selling them have been able to find a loophole to temporarily exploit.  Instead of selling lawn darts as a packaged product, they sell the two parts that comprise each dart individually.  As such, you can buy one plastic fin and one metal tip, put them together and have exactly the same thing.

The company, Jarts In The Heart, cautions against folks looking to buy their products.  According to the website, "if you have the IQ of a monkey," you shouldn't buy lawn darts.  They also require you to be 18 before being able to purchase.  Because everything's sold online, however, the whole warning seems like an exercise to be clever, more than any real concern.

[ad]

Since lawn darts are very scarce, the guys are making a killing, pimping them at a very steep price.  You'll need two sets, one of plastic fins ($49.99) and one of metal tips ($12.99), for a playable game.  Lazy Sunday afternoons just might see a few stray cats killed accidentally with puncture wounds once more.

By the way, I think the resurgence of interest in their offering has flooded Jarts In The Heart's site with visitors so they're redirecting to YouTube, for now.  Check back in a day or two if you want to get yours!

Photo Credit: Jarts In Your Heart

26 Comments

1. Daphne says:

looking for a set of lawn darts. We used to play this as a family
    and had such fun. As adults we would love to play again. Looking
    to buy a set.

2. Staci Day says:

I am very interested in your lawn darts!!!

3. Chuck Welsh says:

How do you order them? and Karin if you still have that set let me know please.

4. Pat Dris says:

would like to purchase set of lawn darts

5. Aimee says:

I’m interested in purchasing a set of metal tip lawn darts? Do you have any available for sale?

6. Becky says:

I am interested in buying a set of the old- timey metal tipped lawn Jarts

7. Marilyn says:

Who ever have the old lawn darts please let me know. I know these can be dangerous for children but u don’t give a child a car and let them play with them now. It was always my husband & myself. Thanks again

• Steve says:

I have a set of 4 yard darts.. steel tip and appear new… Ebay restricts me from selling them as they won’t let anything that’s been recalled or restricted to be sold on their website…. If your interested, check the Modesto Craigslist (ca) and look them up… if the ad is up, then I have them and am willing to ship..

• mark says:

I have a sears set (used but still pretty good shape) red & blue,
      two hoops, in the box. Been so long, don’t know if the instructions
      are still in there. Can see why the ban, but we had fun with them
      as kids never got hurt. Then again we were taught guns and
      and arrows as soon as we were able. Any case if interested
      Just reply

8. mark says:

Sorry, had a local collector wanted my set.

9. Stacey says:

Hi, I am looking for a set of metal tip lawn darts. If anyone could point me in a direction would be great:)

10. Ken says:

And everyone interested in buying should check out the actual deaths and injuries to children from these things….over 6000 people, which led to a limited ban.

The outright ban can later as a result of a father in California whose child was killed by one. He spent years fighting for an outright ban.

11. Max says:

You know the lawn darts didn’t throw themselves at adults or their children. Just like everything else in the country, people always want to blame somebody else for their wrong doing. Lawn darts were fun and because some dump people, everybody has to suffer. I have no simpothy for any adult that got hurt or have children that got hurt. I only have simpothy for the children themselves that didn’t have adults that took care of them better. Take owner ship of your own mistakes and stop blaming them on other people or inamimate objects.

12. Max says:

By the way, I’m looking for a set of lawn darts to buy. If anyone can help that would be great.

• Sirtt says:

I’m making my own and will be willing to sell my plans and parts list if wanted.

• jeff says:

i have 2 sets. i’m asking $100 for the best set, $75 for the other. could come down on price alittle if someone were to buy both sets.these prices are below current market value and fair. pics available. thanks for your interest and if you have any questions please ask!

13. Lisa Kirk says:

I am looking for a set of yard darts with the metal tips from back in the 60s-80s.

14. Chris says:

I’ve got a set of Sportcraft metal-tipped lawn darts that have never been used. The box shows some wear thanks to bugs which also ate the warning/instruction page a bit but the set has never been played with and comes with the 4 darts and 2 rings. The box is dated 1981. I was going to list them on Ebay but I guess that’s a no go. I’m willing to sell for $100 shipped (in the US)

15. Teresa says:

Lawn Darts = the best game we ever owned as kids! I wish I could find our old set. It saddens me that my kids never got to experience it. We tried the “safe” versions & they all sucked. Instead of having family fun in the sun, we have raised a generation of over-protected couch potatoes that are experts at first-hand shooter games… soooo much healthier : / …I’m down with self-assembly though- gonna check that option out. Thanks!